World's largest study: walk and extend healthy years of your life

I’ve talked to tons of older folks in my time about this subject.

Walking keeps you walking.

One gentleman, 70+ years old walks several miles a day. He swears by walking and working out. He’s an old man, but he doesn’t move like one. No stiffness in his walk, nice and limber. I think these guys are onto something.

So, go get moving! :running_man:

Walking just 4,000 steps per day—less than half of the 10,000 steps often recommended for maintaining an active lifestyle—may be enough to help extend your life, according to a new research review published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology.

3 Likes

I really need to start walking again. Now that I’ve been getting up early to take care of my sisters chickens and farm kitties all week, I just may revert back to the morning person I used to be.

1 Like

I have always been active. When I am sick or nursing an injury, sitting around all the time makes me feel worse and you really lose motivation to do anything.

I know people who basically don’t do anything more than necessary and they are always tired, burned out etc. from doing nothing. If their arse caught on fire, they wouldn’t have the gumption to put it out.

We need to take care of our bodies. Hey we’re all gonna pass on one day but that doesn’t mean we can’t have a good quality life. To the best of our ability and it’s different for everyone.
Just do what you can but push yourself a little each time.
Snowflake is right on, what if we had to run to avoid danger, or save a child from danger, or defend ourselves. A mobile body will serve us well when we need it most.
I heard it once said, “I’d rather wear out than rust out”. :wink::call_me_hand:

Yup bring active is huge. I been sweating gallons everyday this summer and i feel good and healthy. Even just doing yard work. Getting out and fixing stuff is very healthy.

2 Likes