One of my favorite Ferments - MILK KEFIR!

Just thought I start a discussion here about Milk Kefir. I’ve been making my own for almost a year now and absolutely love it. Better than yogurt!! We flavor with fruit and a touch of pure maple syrup, but also drink it plain. So good for gut health!

Also, if anyone is interested in making their own and you don’t have grains, I would be more than happy to share.

1 Like

When your in the mood and have the time, I would like to know, and share it with my Daughter !

1 Like

lay it on us! Kay. I had my wife get me a high speed hand held blender. haven’t used it yet but plan on it soon.

1 Like

YIKES! I forgot about this!! I will give everyone the run down in the next day or two. I have too many balls in the air at the moment!

1 Like

Okay! I have a few minutes to give a quick summary on Milk Kefir. I used to brew Kombucha but have since switched over to Milk Kefir. Milk kefir has far more benefits as a fermented probiotic beverage than Kombucha.

To explain this quicker, I’m going to pull some info from the booklet I got when I ordered by Kefir Grains from Fusion Teas. Note - Kefir grains are not actually grains - they are made up of good yeast and bacteria.

Lets’ start with this interesting little tidbit!!

The Milk Kefir Origin Story
Kefir originated in the Caucasus Mountains more than 2000 years ago and was considered a gift from God. Traditionally, Kefir was made by mixing Kefir grains with fresh, raw cow, goat, or sheep milk and was poured into goatskin leather bags to ferment. It was customary to leave the bag outside the door and let anyone entering, kick or shake the bag. This occasional motion assisted the culturing process. Kefir grains have been passed down for generations.

Pretty cool hey?! Another cool thing -

The fermentation process increases the shelf life of the product, enhances the taste, and improves the digestibility. Many people that are lactose intolerant, can tolerate kefir because the good bacteria and yeast living in a symbiotic relationship held together in a rubbery gelatinous texture consume the lactose (milk sugar) when added to animal milk. As these living grains actively consume the lactose, they begin to grow and reproduce. This process breaks down the milk so it is easier to digest. As the yeast assists the bacteria it releases carbon dioxide giving the milk an effervescent characteristic. This process takes anywhere between 24-48 hours. The
end result is a refreshing near lactose-free milk kefir with an abundance of beneficial probiotics. The milk thickens somewhat during the process as the lactose is consumed. It should be creamy, like a drinkable yogurt. The higher the fat content of the milk the creamier the kefir will be. After pouring the kefir through a plastic strainer into a clean transparent glass jar or clean, clear foodsafe plastic container and collecting the kefir grains in the strainer, you can start the process over
again with fresh milk and put it in a quiet, happy place. The kefir you have made can be consumed plain right away, or you might like to chill it to thicken it a bit. Your kefir also can be added to a smoothie or to any number of recipes you plan to cook.

I add fruit and a bit of pure maple syrup for a healthy pick me up. I also make killer flour tortilla’s with it!

I’ll continue this in a bit, but thought I would at least get this out there for anyone that is interested.

4 Likes

Good stuff Kay.

I actually never heard of it, but have been reading your posts on it. I think I saw that it tastes similar to buttermilk?

We recently tried some buttermilk. The wife needed it for a recipe and it didn’t taste like what I imagined. It had a sour taste, I thought it might have been bad! :grin:

I’m willing to try anything though. Curious if anyone else gives it a try and what their thoughts are.

We love yogurt, Greek even.

If you like yogurt, you’ll love kefir! We used to buy this brand:
But there are other things added to this that I don’t like.

As you learn to make your own kefir you can figure out the ferment timing to make it to your taste. Longer ferment makes is more sour. Raw milk makes is more runny. I’ve been making it with organic whole milk and it’s really creamy. I have to admit - I’ve never actually drank buttermilk! At least I don’t think I have. :upside_down_face:

All right, I’ll try taking a look in the dairy isle next time we’re in the store. We can at least try it out and see what we think. I like the kids trying new things, even if it turns our they don’t like it, at least we tried something new.

1 Like

My son was always a picky eater and kefir he loved! Hope they like it!

1 Like

My Daughter likes the Kefir! So I am sure its just a matter of time before she tries to make her own. Thank you for your help, Kay!

She learned how to do the rice milk. She is now on a roll making Mexican Horchata, which I have tried both and taste very good. I have not tried the Kefir when I could have on Wednesday, but I was not ready.

2 Likes

:fist:t3: Knock, knock…

Can I take you up on that offer?

I want to give it a try. I like the fam to try new things, this is something out of the ordinary. It doesn’t sound like something I would like straight up, but I think in protein shakes and smoothies it would be good…

1 Like

You bet! I’ll message you,

1 Like

Now I have to look up Mexican Horchata…

1 Like

Yes! I think you will like it!!!

Just wanted to give a big thanks to @kay for sending the kefir in our direction! One kid likes it, the others haven’t dove in yet. I made a protein shake with it, it wasen’t bad, but it’s different. If it makes me feel like superman I’ll drink it by the quart. :smile:

I love kefir, but the lactic acid could deplete liver stores of glycogen and you could end with disturbed sleep. If you are healthy is delicious but I couldn’t tolerate it for a long time. Maybe I’ll try this autumn.
If somebody has the chance of doing it with goat milk it’s pretty potent.
And by the way, with goat milk and with the guide of The Lord I’ve healed a nasty hip pain I had like arthritis.
Regarding cows milk try non homogenized. It’s more natural.
Long life kefir!!

2 Likes

I’ve tried hard to like goats milk, but it’s just too grassy tasting for me. I do love raw milk, but it’s hard to get here in the US. I have a couple sources that I buy from. I prefer it in the spring and summer. During the fall and winter I don’t care for the taste as much.

We don’t drink much milk in our family, never have. I never pushed milk on my son when he was young either. He’s a water drinker like his parents. :wink: No juices, soda’s or other beverages that most people drink…yes, we are not normal. :rofl: I quit drinking Diet Coke years ago and my husband quit Mountain Dew. Now if we try it all we can taste is chemicals. It’s weird how our tastes get accustomed to what we eat.

Interesting! I never heard that. I haven’t noticed any issues with me or my family.
I will definitely keep that in mind. We usually just drink it as a treat when I flavor with fruit and a bit of maple syrup. But I really like making tortilla’s with it. And I just started making Indian Flat Bread using Kefir.

Oh…I know some people make water kefir. It takes a different type of grain I believe. I’ve never done that.

Praise God!! I have heard wonderful things about goat’s milk and healing. If I ever have issues with arthritis, I may have to force it down! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The milk of the photo has an amazing flavor, even better than cows milk!
Keep on with this good old kefir Kay!

1 Like

Kay please keep on the kefir, it’s amazing.
Hugs!

1 Like

Absolutely! I’m taking a bit of a break fermenting at the moment bc we have plenty. A quart for baking/cooking and a half gallon of flavored. Kefir grains resting in milk in the fridge for a few days.