One of my favorite Ferments - MILK KEFIR!

Yeah, this is what happened to me, the damn thing grows like crazy!!! Haha. I love it more than yogurt.
With yogurt you have to try Lassi. It’s yogurt churned with water and sugar… Amazing and more digestive
There are quite a few recipes on internet.

Oh no…not another thing I have to try!! :rofl: Lassi does sound familiar…

We are just getting into fermenting fruits and veggies, then I have milk kefir and the sourdough starter. I really need to get back to canning also. So much I want to do, but finding the time is the problem. I think I just need to MAKE time!!

Hahaha good idea that of making time.
By the way, which one do you prefer? Lassi or kefir?

I don’t think I’ve ever had lassi, but I’m not positive. I may have tried it years ago…:rofl: I can’t remember. But now I’m going to have to try it!

I’ll show you a trick: sprinkle it with a dash of sugar, till you can thrust it with the spoon. Hahaha I’ve tried it this way but too much sugar!

1 Like

Hey @Kay, it’s been awhile since you sent me the grains, they’ve worked out great.

I wanted to provide some updates on my experiences. As with anything in life, there’s a lot of false information and myths out there. I think I found a couple with kefir.

Everywhere I looked, they said don’t place them in a metal colander, use a plastic one or you’ll damage the grains. Well, I don’t have a plastic one, I wasn’t going to buy a plastic one (el-tight wad), and I try to avoid plastic. So I used my metal one anyway.

You know I’m a rebel.

Well, it’s been what, 3 months since I got the kefir and the grains are still doing fantastic.

To add insult to injury, if I leave the grains in there for several weeks. I just don’t care for the sludge of milk that builds up… So, I toss them in my metal colander and spray them off with water from the sink.

They don’t seem to mind! :grin:

Ohh, one more…

They say, don’t shake them up. We do sometimes, and I found some history that said ancient folk used to place kefir in goat skins, and hang it next to the door. That way, when people went in and out, they bumped it the goat bag to shake up the kefir.

Go figure huh?

1 Like

YES! I have found the same with all of the above!! The best explanation that made the most sense to me was using the metal can be a little rough on the grains and basically just make them a bit smaller. So who cares, right? With the amount of time that they are actually touching metal I don’t think there would be much to worry about.

Like I had mentioned…I left mine in the fridge, unattended for a few months…probably 3. Now there was some dark coloring on the top, but I just scooped it off and then rinsed my grains. I used milk that time, but I have used water to rinse them as well. All was good! Delicious kefir once again.

And that is what we all need to remember. The ancients did this all the time and they didn’t have special utensils and all these rules on safety. They just used common sense. Same goes for sourdough…

The longer you work with something, the more you learn. And yes, I’ve shaken mine as well even though they say NO!!! :joy: I truly believe they make things sound so scary so people don’t fend for themselves. That way we stay “dependent” on them.

Oh…and I’m going to dehydrate some grains also just to have extra on hand. :slight_smile:

2 Likes