Latest Forum Tips!

Good morning!

Does anyone have any questions about how to use the forum?

Don’t be shy, if there is something you cannot figure out, just respond here, and we’ll all try and help you out.

Tip: “Smart quotes” are my fav.

smart-quote

1 Like

I need to use the quotes more! (See what I did there?? LOL)

1 Like

Since we’re on the topic of forum function. Don’t forget, that you all have the ability to help moderate the community. You can do that by flagging the posts of individuals who violate the community guidelines.

What happens when you do that?

I get notified to take action. However, if enough of you take action beforehand, the troublesome post is hidden from public view. This will help to keep our community clean, upbeat, and positive!

Thanks so much for being a part of it.

1 Like

Question on quotes:

if I’m reading one of your articles and I want to reply to it with a quote from the article, what is the best way to do it?

I was actually opening another window for the article and then copying the text from the article and pasting it into the reply, then selecting it and then click the quotes icon. Note: this is using the PC.

I think that’s the best way to do it. :+1:t3:

1 Like

So you want another tip huh?

To ensure your post’s formatting looks a-okay, use that little double arrow guy in the lower right-hand corner when you’re making a post. <<

That enables you to preview your post before submitting it. Then you can ensure it’s ready for the big time before you post it!

web-forum-post-format

Bonus: Don’t forget, you can also edit your posts after they are submitted!

On your phone📱, click the ellipsis “…” at the bottom of your post next to the reply arrow.
On your computer :desktop_computer:, click the pencil at the bottom of your post next to “Reply”.

On the PC you click the pencil to edit. I’m glad you are providing these tips as I rarely use the forum on the phone.

1 Like

I like to set my Mac/phone in “dark mode” at night. In case some of you do as well, here’s how to set up the forum to do it.

P.S. It makes the Christmas lights look even better!

Tada!

1 Like

HA! I did it on my out of date android! Except I had to change the Regular to DARK also. No idea why, but now my Christmas lights look so pretty!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

When you’re reading the forum, sometimes you need a little context. Here’s a good example, Gwen was replying to snowflakes, but she wasn’t responding to his latest post on screen, but one prior.

So anytime you want to gain context, just click the user’s name that has the reply icon, as seen in the photo below, it expands the conversation.

See, Gwen was cracking a joke about Zelensky’s high heels, not gaslighting. :grin::+1:t3:

P.S. You can also use “smart quotes” to quote someone in your response.

forum-tip-context

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Why doesn’t the Dissenter browser work?

Add An Avatar!

When you’re a new user, you’re given a letter for your avatar. Boring!

You can easily customize that, and be a part of the in-crowd by visiting your preferences. Go ahead, click that link, it will take you there. The page looks like this.

Click the pencil, upload a photo, DONE.

See, easy peasy!

If you’re really daring, update your profile as well.

I’ll probably choose to do it like I am doing now. Sorry they are not smart enough for you.

the in crowd? nah. no thanks.

Lighten up Kev.

It’s jokes and fun man. :grin: There’s no danger in an avatar, but they do provide some customization and uniqueness for everyone. It makes the place feel more alive.

But hey, if you don’t want one, no sweat brother! No obligation, this place is totally free to you. :+1:t3:

Brandon, you failed to see the humor in my response, don’t be too sensitive little brother! By now you should know that I’ma fog horn leg horn, boy! With a Pachino attitude. I don need no stinking customization!