Introduce Yourself!

Welcome Deborah, great to have you.

I love that Mark Twain quote, I’m going to have to remember that one. I also love welding!

1 Like

My sister’s home in Virginia… always loved going there. Since the spouses of my mother, sister and I have passed on in recent years… we moved in together to take care of each other in Virginia… our home state.

THAT - THAT is what it’s all about!! You made me smile as I read your answer.

3 Likes

Hi, Chris!

Did you notice that Iceland was one of my favorite spots too??? I also rented a car, in February even, and drove all over the island. It definitely was one of the most incredibly breathtaking places I’ve been. I love the contrast between FIRE and ICE. And who doesn’t love waterfalls?! I’d like to go back in the Spring or Summer one day. GREAT choice for a favorite place! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did see that. Feb. must have been difficult. We got back from Iceland in Sept. 19. Then in Jan. 20 is when covid came on the world. We just made it in time. I would go back in a second if the opportunity comes. It really is an amazing place. Thanks for sharing. I really love this site and Brandon…

I hope you have a Great evening,

Chris

2 Likes

My last trip before Covid hit was South Africa, Swaziland, and Zimbabwe… in February of 2020! South Africa was incredible too, with loads of ancient history and mysteries. I’m itching to go somewhere again, so I’m figuring out which countries have the least restrictions. February in Iceland wasn’t too shabby. The roads were clear, and I was able to slightly see the Northern Lights. Some of the hostels I stayed in I had completely to myself too! Nice to “meet” you and I’m looking forward to expanding insight with this new forum. Let’s let Iron sharpen Iron. :+1:

1 Like

I went to Peru some years back. It was eye opening to see how Great we really have it here in America. I am sure you saw that is SA and Zimbabwe. So many people around the world are really just living day to day. Here in America, we actually have expectations for retirement plans. I think it is amazing how many people have no idea how lucky we are here. It is awesome to meet you as well…

2 Likes
  1. What was your first job?

Babysitting for $0.50 an hour. :rofl:

1. Been pleasantly surprised by anything lately?

How many people’s eyes are opening to the corruption around us.

1. What’s something you want to do in the next year that you’ve never done before?

Write a book

1. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited?

Lancaster, PA and visiting the Amish community “Quiet Valley.” It inspired me to become more self-sufficient and self-reliant.

1. What’s the best advice you’ve ever heard?

The TV is a boob-tube go outside and play, by my late grandfather.

1. Do you collect anything?

Old fashioned oil Lanterns with wicks.

1. When did you become a Christian?

When I was 14.

1. Got any phobias you’d like to break?

No

1. Got any favorite quotes?

From the movie Braveheart: “They may take away our lives, but they’ll never take our freedom!” – William Wallace

1. What are your hobbies?

Farming, harvesting, making soaps and candles, cooking clean healthy meals.

1. How long have you been a reader?

About two years.

4 Likes

Hey Donna, welcome!

I have a couple old Coleman lanterns I just love. I know that’s not what you are talking about, but it reminded me of them.

By the way, on Braveheart. My favorite scene in that movie is when Mel busts into the cabin and hits the guy with that ball and chain. When I was a kid, I played that back for my Mom in super slow mo! I’m sick, I know! In one of the frames, they swap the guy for a dummy. Facts ya can’t live without! :smile:

1 Like

Brandon, thank you for the welcome.

I have plenty of Coleman lanterns too. I also love to camp. Camping is a good way to unplug from the nonsense. :slightly_smiling_face:

Brandon said: “By the way, on Braveheart. My favorite scene in that movie is when Mel busts into the cabin and hits the guy with that ball and chain. When I was a kid, I played that back for my Mom in super slow mo!
I’m sick, I know! In one of the frames, they swap the guy for a dummy…”

That dummy deserved everything he had coming to him. :sunglasses:

1 Like

My name is Angela but I use the online name Faith because I love the meaning.

My first job was a babysitter for children in my neighborhood when I was 12 years old.

2. Been pleasantly surprised by anything lately?
    Yes, my daughter gave birth to a girl on August 17- her first child! She and her husband are thrilled. I’m always amazed by the miracle of childbirth. I was also pleasantly surprised because my fish laid eggs.

Father’s divine order in general is mind blowing to me to say the least.

1. What’s something you want to do in the next year that you’ve never done before?
    I’d like to take a cross country trip to San Francisco via Amtrak. I want to experience a sleeping car, dining, and most of all, the beautiful scenery.

2. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited?
    Maui

3. What’s the best advice you’ve ever heard?
    The best advice I ever heard was to read the Bible myself. How can I profess to believe in a God I know nothing about? My curiosity led me to learn about Him. Build a relationship with Him. Trust Him.

4. Do you collect anything?
    I raise Discus fish and love them. I’ve been an aquarist since 1987 (I’m old, age 59!)

5. When did you become a Christian?
    I was raised in Church and can’t remember exactly when I became a Christian. I learned how to pray as a toddler before eating meals and to thank God for everything. Jesus Christ was always in my life.

6. Got any phobias you’d like to break?
    I’d like to get rid of social anxiety.

7. Got any favorite quotes?
    When someone shows you who they are believe them the first time. It’s a Maya Angelou quote that has served me well personally and professionally.

8. What are your hobbies?
    In addition to raising Discus fish (I have 12), I enjoy astronomy - gazing through my telescope.

Bonus!

I think I started reading the website in 2015, if not sooner.
5 Likes

Faith welcome!

I had to go look up those fish, my kids would say they look “techie” due to those teal colored lines. Nice hobby!

1 Like

HA! I had to look up the fish as well and that was before reading Brandon’s comment. And BTW…I’m 58. When I turned 58 I didn’t realize that I was 58. My husband and I were figuring it out and then when we did, we were BOTH surprised! So I’m going to rebuke that 59 is old! LOL

2 Likes

Lol! Thanks for making me feel young! Here is a photo of a couple of my fish. They are very shy! My oldest Discus is a female I named Mabel. She is 6 years old. I hope you enjoy the photos.

7 Likes
    Worked at a grocery store.

2. **Been pleasantly surprised by anything lately?**No.

3. What’s something you want to do in the next year that you’ve never done before?
    Cant think of anything really.

4. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited?
    Went to Illinois once.Ended up staying for 2 years.

5. What’s the best advice you’ve ever heard?

6. Do you collect anything?
    Used to collect baseball cards.

7. When did you become a Christian?

8. **Got any phobias you’d like to break?**no

9. Got any favorite quotes?

10. What are your hobbies?
    If you call fishing a hobby.

Bonus!

3 years.
4 Likes

They are beautiful!! And I love the name. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

It was my pleasure! It’s nice meeting you. Have a wonderful rest of the day,

3 Likes

Wes, great to see you join the forum! Welcome.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Chris!

So glad to hear your wife beat that tumor, that’s always scary stuff. By the way, I love your Pop’s advice.

3 Likes

Oh my!!! LOL I think you may have came to the correct conclusion…although Faith may be able to help you in that department. We had a few fish when my son was younger - I found out it’s more about taking care of the water than it is the actual fish.

Oh - quick funny story. His fish died after he had gone to bed (probably 3 yrs old) and I was dreading telling him about it in the morning. He gets up, I gently tell him that “Neekus” died. He looks at the fish net that I scooped him out with and asked “Did you try to catch him as he was floating up to heaven?!” Oh man…I about died. But it did bring up the discussion about flesh and spirit bodies!

5 Likes
    Mowing lawns. Used my dad’s gas and mower, but I kept the money

2. Been pleasantly surprised by anything lately?
    Not surprised, but I realize every day that most people are kind.

3. What’s something you want to do in the next year that you’ve never done before?
    Hmmm, I need to think about that one. I’m pretty boring.

4. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited?
    Scotland. Ireland a close 2nd.

5. What’s the best advice you’ve ever heard?
    Don’t keep up with the Jones’ because they are broke.

6. Do you collect anything?
    Nothing tangible. Just good memories.

7. When did you become a Christian?
    Like you sir, born a Christian but didn’t realize it until early 30s.

8. Got any phobias you’d like to break?
    Claustrophobia.

9. Got any favorite quotes?
    Action cures Fear

10. What are your hobbies?
    I train in Karate, Kickboxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. BJJ is quickly becoming my favorite. It also is helping me deal with Question #8 above.

11. I have been a reader since June 2014 I believe.

6 Likes