Can Christians Eat Pork?

Full article at: What Does The Bible Say About Eating Pork? | World Events and the Bible

Do you realize, God said if Christians eat pork, they’re like smoke in His nose? Furthermore, in Leviticus God said do not eat pork, and that never changed.

6 Likes

I must say bacon had me in a chokehold but it’s been 4 months and I haven’t missed it. I’ve found some beef bacon which gets the job done lol I guess some people think God secretly gave us some dna upgrade after Jesus death to tolerate unclean animals. :joy::joy:

5 Likes

It matters not. You speak of Jewish Law, and we are no longer of the law but of grace. I argue that Jesus had already pointed the way, saying: ‘Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles them’ ([Mark 7:15] So we have been made a new creature under a new “law” that far exceeds the laws the Jews had to keep to show their faith.

2 Likes

So do we follow the Ten Commandments then?

2 Likes

First thing I thought of was Peter’s trance while praying Acts II 11:5

So is the old testament null and void?

Revelation 14:12
[12]Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

So in the future it talks about the saints that keep the commandments of God. What are those commandments?

If the law is void what do i follow?

Yes i agree the law does not save but it is a mirror for me to look into. The more i have looked into each law the more i see why it is God gave it

1 John 5:2-3
[2]By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
[3]For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

3 Likes

The ten commandments are a common sense no brainer. If everyone followed them we would have the next thing to heaven on earth. All evil and suffering in the world result from transgressors of the commandments. The Gentiles in the old testament were persecuted and shunned by the Jews and considered unclean, sub human. The Jews also thought the same about Christ Jesus and many still do today. Yeah, it’s complicated.

1 Like

Mark 7:15 is talking of a spiritual nature. You could basically eat anything you want, and it won’t cause the loss of your soul. But it could harm your flesh.
If we take the verse to be of a flesh nature, then smoking would not defile a man either, but we know, sooner or later, it will kill you.

Too many times the Old Testament is left out of the equation. Christ came to fulfill the law. He didn’t have to reinvent the wheel and quote it all over again.

Years ago, I made the statement that all murderers and rapist should be executed, by the command of the Lord. This person said no, Christ never taught that. I asked him why we put people in prison, Christ never taught that either, but we still do.

Cherry picking verses is the downfall of man.

3 Likes

We should always follow the good advice of God, as it applies to us. The issue of pork/cannot eat applied to Jewish law, and Christ set that record straight. Also; [King James Bible] Romans 14:2
For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth only vegetables.
Corrects the vegetarians too. These kinds of arguments are what has led to many divisions of Christian sects, ala Presbyterians, Methodists, Baptists, etc. All those self claimed “badges” will be left behind when Christ Jesus calls us home. So don’t cling too hard to false teachings on minor things such as pork.

Your last statement is true.
Smoking does not always “kill a man.” My dad smoked from the time he entered WWI (1944) until he died at 96. NO lung problems ever, so I call false on this non-scritural claim. I choose to not partake, but it is not a concern to me if others do. God will correct in them, if it needs correcting, in the time He decides to.
Your claim about putting people in jail is false. See: Whoever will not observe the law of your God, and the law of the king, let judgment be executed upon him strictly, whether for death or for banishment or for confiscation of goods or for imprisonment.". Matthew 27:16
Have a great God filled day!

Read it closely: “For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.” We do this because we love God, not because we will lose our place in heaven.
Do not confuse the OT Laws, intended for Jews so they could prove their faith with us under NT Grace, We obey them because we love God, not to get the promise to the Jewish people of OT times. When Jesus, the Christ, came to this earth, He made our journey much easier, praise His name, than the Jews who HAD to obey them out of fear of being cut off from Gods blessings.
Do not assume that I dimiss the OT, for it was the foretelling of the coming of a savior of all mankind! Just pray for wisdom to know when they apply directly to us today, and when they applied to men of the past days. Seek God, and ask for discernment.
God bless all for trying to grasp the greatness of his gift to us!

I didn’t say there were not prisoners in scripture. I said Christ didn’t teach it in the Gospels.

The premise some take is the Old and New are separated. If Christ didn’t physically say it in the New, then the Old is not valid. Which is a false teaching. If we take on that premise, then anything Christ didn’t say in the Gospels is fair game, but we know it is not.

This is one of the new arguments they gay crowd use. They push Paul aside since he called it a sin and justify it since Christ did not specifically denounce it. My response is, from the Old, the Lord isn’t going to give you a pass after destroying cities for the same offense.

As far as smoking, it slowly kills the body. If it didn’t get your father, it eventually would. Either way, one is heathier not smoking. It does kill cells etc. It pollutes the body. If we are the temple of God, why pollute it? Same as pork. We know it is bad for the body, especially the amounts that are consumed.

I have a very dear friend who battled cancer and the first thing the doctor told her was, your chance of survival increases if, you get rid of the pork.

The Old Testament laws were to be carried to everyone. From the 12 tribes, not just Judeans. That was the whole point and job of their existence which they threw away. Hence the captivity. Now there is no Greek or Jew, but the same laws are to be applied.

5 Likes

Kevin, one thing of interest. Since Jesus brought us salvation:
Romans 10:12
For there is no distinction between Jew and Gentile; for the same Lord is Lord over all [of us], and [He is] abounding in riches (blessings) for all who call on Him [in faith and prayer].

Kevin, one thing of interest. Since Jesus brought us salvation:
Romans 10:12
For there is no distinction between Jew and Gentile; for the same Lord is Lord over all [of us], and [He is] abounding in riches (blessings) for all who call on Him [in faith and prayer].

Amen

The old and the new are separated. not separate. The OT was only for the Jewish people. This was the dispensation of “salvation” by the Law. Once Jesus brought about salvation by His death and resurrection believers now fall under the dispensation of the blood of Christ being all that is required. Man becomes aware of his sinfulness, by being preached the Gospel, confesses and calls on the blood of Christ to clear his record of wrongdoing. He also is taught to seek God. That is done by attending a Bible teaching church, studying His words of scripture, all the while petitioning God for wisdom and understanding of the deeper matters.
I was diagnosed with cancer 6 months ago. The doctor, who did NO type of pet scanm to determine if I was cancerous or not, started chemotherapy. It was my hell on earth. I kept begging my new doctor to do a PET scan, when he finally cpmplied, NO CANCER WAS FOUND! 3 months now! Praise my creator God!
If you wish to claim pork is bad, smoking is bad, my knowledge is flawed then you will have to prove that outside of this post. I have known Jesus personally for the last 58 years, have studied his words constantly, BUT only after praying for understanding and clarity before I start any study. I preached the Gospel, and performed Bible studies for people in a low income project 35 miles from my home for 7 1/2 years before the lie of COVID shutthat down. I will be 70 in a couple of months and I know this, New King James Version
“The days of our lives are seventy years; And if by reason of strength they are eighty years, Yet their boast is only labor and sorrow; For it is soon cut off, and we fly away.”
I am positive in my stance, in my understanding thus far, and await the call of my Savior. He will not hasten for long, I am positive.
I will post no further on this matter. Go with God, and keep praying for understanding and being not led astray by false doctrines of men.

God’s advice is that the swine is not good to eat. I think God, the creator of ALL things advised us about the swine and we should take his advice.

There is more in Ezekiel about the end times then there is in the NT.

II Timothy 2:15 KJV
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Likes

When studying God’s word to us it is imperative that we know 3 things. This was from Bible College instructors. WHO is the scripture addressed to:

1. The Jew
  2. The Gentile
    or
  3. The Church
    This would clarify so many errors in interpreting what certain scriptures mean.
    The next time you study try this out. I am certain it will clarify so much in His communications to us.
    A lengthy explanation comes from a study of OTquoted in the NT. Example, sorry for the length, but:
    " Most of the quotations in the NT are drawn from the OT. The bulk of these occur in the synoptic gospels, the epistles of Paul, Hebrews, and Revelation. How many there are depends largely on the number of allusive OT quotations counted—and that is a delicate matter. The number of explicit OT quotations has been variously estimated in the range of 150-300, allusive quotations over 1,000. Revelation contains numerous allusive quotations, but none which are explicit.

The explicit quotations of the OT are easy to identify. Quotation formulas often introduce them. Allusive quotations are clauses, phrases, and sometimes single words that may easily escape notice; e.g., the unattentive reader might well miss that the words from the cloud at Jesus’ transfiguration ([Matt 17:5](Matt - The Genealogy of Jesus the Messiah - Bible Gateway 17:5)) came from three separate passages in the OT: “This is my beloved Son (from [Ps 2:7](Ps - BOOK I Psalms 1–41 - Blessed is the - Bible Gateway 2:7)), with whom I am well pleased (from [Isa 42:1](Isa - The vision concerning Judah and - Bible Gateway 42:1)); listen to him” (from [Deut 18:15](Deut - The Command to Leave Horeb - These are - Bible Gateway 18:15)). More easily overlooked is Matthew’s changing the description of Joseph of Arimathea as “a respected member of the council” in [Mark 15:43](Mark - John the Baptist Prepares the Way - The - Bible Gateway 15:43) to “a rich man” ([Matt 27:57](Matt - The Genealogy of Jesus the Messiah - Bible Gateway 27:57)) to conform with a prediction by Isaiah that the Suffering Servant would have “his grave…with a rich man in his death” ([Isa 53:9](Isa - The vision concerning Judah and - Bible Gateway 53:9)).

There is the possibility that some coincidences of wording between the OT and the NT are fortuitous, as is probable in the narratives of the flights to Egypt by Jeroboam I ([1 Kings 11:40](1Kgs - Adonijah Sets Himself Up as King - When - Bible Gateway 11:40)) and the Holy Family ([Matt 2:13-15](Matt - The Genealogy of Jesus the Messiah - Bible Gateway 2:13-Matt 2:15)). In most instances, however, there is justification in seeing conscious allusions, for Jewish education was steeped in OT lore. Because of rote memory, many of the rabbis were “living concordances.” The DSS have shown that an author’s weaving OT phraseology into his own words was a common literary practice in NT times."
Enjoy learning HOW to understand God’s word to us. God bless.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree that smoking is bad for a person’s health.

We will also have to agree to disagree that the Old Testament is strictly for the so-called Jews. (Which is blanket term for the 12 tribes, Israel) As I stated before, they were chosen, created to do the will of the Lord and take His message to the world, someone had to do it. They failed miserably.

God is not a respecter of persons. He sees us all the same. (Romans 2:11)

Anyone who was given the law of God in the Old Testament, repented and followed it, would have been considered righteous through the law, same as Abraham. Some traveled with the 12 tribes out of Egypt since they converted. (Exodus 12:38) If they all would have listened to Moses, things would have turned out differently.

God does not destroy people without the warning of His word.

If the Old Testament was strictly for the Jews, the Lord would not have sent Jonah to Nineveh. They all repented and were spared till the next generations went astray as we do today. (Gentiles)

Lot sat at the gate of judgement in Sodom and was considered righteous, setting the example without success, so they were destroyed. (Gentiles)

I would think that Cyrus and Darius could fall under the category of a proselyte. We know Nebuchadnezzar finally humbled himself and repented by the work of Daniel.

1 Like

We certainly will disagree for no where in your statement did you mention the reason Jesus was sent. It was to announce a new way. Read the following carefully to understand the differences between OT and NT, bu it goes much further than that:
" Answer

While the Abrahamic Covenant continues and has not yet been completely fulfilled (even to this day), God changed course with His chosen people Israel at Mt. Sinai. God added the Law, and with it a new dispensation, which had a beginning and an ending (Romans 10:4).

The fifth dispensation is that of Law—Exodus 19:5 to John 19:30.

Stewards: Moses and the children of Israel as a nation at Mt. Sinai
The Period: from Mt. Sinai until Christ Jesus fulfilled the Law with His death
Responsibility: Keep the whole Law (Exodus 19:3-8)
Failure: The Law was broken (2 Kings 17:7-20)
Judgment: Worldwide dispersion (Deuteronomy 28:63-66; Luke 21:20-24)
Grace: The promised Savior is sent (Isaiah 9:6-7; Galatians 4:4-5)

Israel was never to be saved by keeping the Law (Romans 3:20). The Law was meant to govern their earthly lives, to define sin, and to point to the coming Savior. Neither did the Law change the provisions of the Abrahamic Covenant.

The dispensation of Law is named after the Mosaic Law, called a “covenant” in Exodus 24:7-8; Deuteronomy 4:13; and Galatians 3:19. It was God’s only conditional covenant with Israel in that blessing and success depended upon the people’s obedience to the Law (Exodus 19:5). It did not take long for the Law to be broken, as proved by the golden calf in Exodus 32.

The Law was also a temporary covenant to be made null and void by the institution of the New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:32; Hebrews 8:13; 10:9). The Law was added “because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come” (Galatians 3:19).

It is important to note that the Law of Moses was given only for the nation of Israel (Exodus 19:3-8; Deuteronomy 5:1-3; 4:8). Jesus made it clear that it was given to Israel and not the Gentiles (Mark 12:29-30). The apostle Paul said the Law was given to Israel and not the Church (Romans 2:14; 9:4-5; Ephesians 2:11-12). The dispensation of Law is over.

How unfortunate that Israel misinterpreted the purpose of the Law and sought a righteousness by good deeds and ceremonial ordinances rather than by God’s grace (Romans 9:31—10:3; Acts 15:1)! Because they were focused on attaining their own holiness, they rejected their Messiah (John 1:11).

Israel’s history from Mt. Sinai to the destruction of the temple in AD 70 was one long record of violating God’s Law. However, the Law was still fulfilled, as Jesus states, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them” (Matthew 5:17). Because of Jesus’ perfect fulfillment of the Law, we are saved through Him: “A man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified” (Galatians 2:16)."
This perfectly sums up my points of discussion. The truth of the Gospel of Christ will set you free! Your understanding will suddenly profit once you understand.

1 Like

Bill, I know our heavenly father loves all equally. I was talking about self appointed ‘holy men’ adorned in long robes and goofy hats in order to make themselves appear to be more than the actually are. Jesus teaches us about them in Mathew 23… Those are the men I was referring to. High headed, stiff necked liars