Introduce Yourself!

Welcome! It’s such a great feeling to have a community of like minded people from all around the world. So happy that you found us!
God bless!

4 Likes

Before I answer these questions, I just wanted to say thank you for accepting me into this community. My name is Michelle and I’m glad to be here.

1. What was your first job? I had a paper route when I was young, and anyone who has ever delivered newspapers will remember Sundays lol. Those things were sooo heavy!

2. Been pleasantly surprised by anything lately? Yes. Just a few days ago I brought a stray cat that I’ve been caring for over the last several months (Bubbles) inside my house. She actually got along with my other cats. I expected a lot of hissing and stuff, but so far that hasn’t happened.

3. What’s something you want to do in the next year that you’ve never done before? Hmmm, well I’m thinking of trying my hand at making sourdough starter and then sourdough bread. I tried once before and never made it past making my own starter, so I’m going to try again soon.

4. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited? My favorite place I ever visited is also where I used to live, the beautiful state of Alaska. I moved to help my parents several years ago, but have been homesick ever since.

5. What’s the best advice you’ve ever heard? Let’s see, this one is tough because I’m in my 50’s, so I’ve heard a lot of good (and bad) advice lol. Okay one that has had a huge impact on my life is from a really good friend. She told me that love is a choice, an action and not simply a feeling. She was right.

6. Do you collect anything? Fabric because I like to quilt.

7. When did you become a Christian? I was 10 years old. My neighbors always had Bible study in their front yard for us kids, and they served cookies at the end of the study. The cookies lured me there and God did the rest!

8. Got any phobias you’d like to break? I come undone if a spider lands on me and I have zero desire to break the phobia.

9. Got any favorite quotes? Several, one is “when life gives you scrap, make a quilt”

10. What are your hobbies? I love to make quilts and sew things like tote bags or kitchen stuff. I also enjoy baking bread or anything that allows me to play with dough (cinnamon rolls, bread sticks, etc).

Bonus!

1. How long have you been a reader of our site? I’ve been reading for a years or so. I’ve learned a lot and particularly enjoy reading about the news and how it ties into prophesy. Also, the newer verse by verse section is one of my favorites. Thank you, Brandon, for all the time and hard you put into teaching all of us!
4 Likes

Welcome aboard. No need to thank us, glad to have you.

3 Likes

Very happy that you are here with us :blush: Thank you for sharing :blush:

3 Likes

Hey Michelle, welcome!

Ohh, you have friends here!

We had a competition on here sometime ago… If I recall, the cat lovers are outranking the dog lovers here to this very day. :smile:

You and @kay will be best friends. She has posts about sourdough. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Well now, that’s funny. I’ve been baking sourdough for I think 3 yrs now and just got into quilting last year. If you need any tips on starting the sourdough, just let me know. There is a topic created under Homestead/Cooking. Here is the link:

And welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome Michelle! I’m just now getting into sewing, i bought a starter machine though which I may take it back for a heavy duty machine because it seems like it’s for 2nd graders lol. I want to start making my own clothes and wigs lol any advice you ladies can offer me?

2 Likes

I have a Singer Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine, I bought this one so I can mend jeans. They of course are not built like they used to me, but I do like mechanical vs the computerized machines. It really depends on what you like. I know nothing about sewing wigs, so I would base my purchase on what type of stitches you need for that.

Biggest advice would be don’t get all wrapped up in all the so-called “experts” out there. Sewing is not difficult and really it just takes common sense. I find when I’m watching youtube or reading posts/comments in FB groups that I take what makes sense and ignore the things that don’t. Back in the 80’s I like reading Nancy Zieman’s books and VCR tapes. :wink: She has since passed on, but her video’s are now on youtube. She keeps things simple!

@brandon - Maybe these sewing comments should be moved over to Homestead or Hobbies?

1 Like

I’m not sure if I’m doing this correctly, trying to reply to your reply about cats. We’ll see what happens.

I’m definitely team cats! I love dogs too, but right now I only only have cats. 9 of them, which is still shocking to me lol

I rescued a momma cat and she had 8 babies. Hard as I tried, nobody wanted to adopt them (except for my neighbor who took one). Sooo, my home is filled with kitty love. And attitude. lol

2 Likes

I agree! When I started quilting it seemed like there were endless rules and I tried to follow them all. Took the fun out of it pretty quickly because I always felt I was doing something wrong. Mom suggested that I make a scrap quilt and just not worry about being perfect. Once I did that, it was so much more fun. Now I just do my best, knowing that nothing I make is perfect, but it’s a lot more enjoyable.

Thank you for the sourdough link.

2 Likes

Thanks guys!! Yeah I agree…some YouTubers will make you want to throw the machine away :joy::joy:

Scrap quilts are what I make. I like the look of quilts made during the depression actually. :grin:

2 Likes
  1. What was your first job? Paper boy

2. Been pleasantly surprised by anything lately? How many people don’t actually believe in a pre trib rapture (I don’t support that theory either)

3. What’s something you want to do in the next year that you’ve never done before? Hey my golf game in the 80’s

4. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited? Hmmm… I have a few. Mexico, Hawaii, Curaco, Jamaica.

5. What’s the best advice you’ve ever heard? If you don’t change your habits your habits will change you

6. Do you collect anything? Not really

7. When did you become a Christian? Raised in a Christian home, re commuted my life to Christ around 20 yrs old around 89-90.

8. Got any phobias you’d like to break? Not really

9. Got any favorite quotes? I have given up all hope of having a better past.

10. What are your hobbies? Golf, hiking, xc skiing. Best one of all walking with my wife (and of course our dog).

Bonus!

1. How long have you been a reader of our site? Almost a year
5 Likes

Welcome! Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Darren!

We love hiking as well, never tired the cross-country skiing though, depending on where we decide to live, I might have to take it up.

2 Likes

Brandon I highly recommend staying where it is warm LOL! Glad to be on forum. My wife and I love the material!

2 Likes
  1. What was your first job?
    I helped my Dad build a 28’ halibut fishing boat in our garage in Alaska. He bought the hull and we built the deck and cabin by placing fiberglass sheets with glue over and over. It took a year and when we went to pull it out of the garage my dad had to cut off the top of the garage door. I remember the neighbors faces when we pulled it out! Lol. We lived on the ocean for 6 months fishing. Beautiful views, but rather a small boat for those seas. My Dad was an adventurist and taught me good work ethics.

2. Been pleasantly surprised by anything lately?
    I am disabled and surprised by how God is able to use me to bring others to Him. I am daily amazed by his tender loving kindness and blessings towards me.

3. What’s something you want to do in the next year that you’ve never done before?
    I would like to take my Mom to tulsa to see her sister and my aunt and cousins on my Dads side.

4. What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited?
    Yellowstone

5. What’s the best advice you’ve ever heard?
    To not wait until i feel like doing something, but just do it and the feelings will follow. From my daughter.

6. Do you collect anything?
    I collect coins, silver and old postcards. Also vintage costume jewelry.

7. When did you become a Christian?
    30 some years ago. I found a bible study show on tv, and got up at 5 am every morning to watch it. I never looked back.

8. Got any phobias you’d like to break?
    Maybe spiders

9. Got any favorite quotes?
    Walk softly and carry a big stick. Lol Theodore Roosevelt

10. What are your hobbies?
    Facebook
    Bonus!

11. How long have you been a reader of our site? Not long

4 Likes

Oh that Alaska story is the BEST! That is one heck of a first job and i bet you made your dad so proud. What a well rounded learning experience.

Welcome to the group, I’m sure you will enjoy it as much as I do!

3 Likes

Welcome Darla! Enjoyed reading your questions :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Welcome, Darla! Your spider phobia made me laugh. I don’t like crickets and am not sure why. Funny thing is I like most bugs, even spiders but not crickets. Go figure!

I look forward to getting to know you. Have a fabulous day!

3 Likes