Elijah slewing the 450 prophets of Baal...what about the 400 prophets of the groves?

Interested in knowing what everyone’s thoughts are on this:

As I was studying 1 Kings, chapter 18 it left me with a question. Elijah called all Israel unto Mount Carmel along with the 450 prophets of Baal and the 400 prophets of the groves to prove that God is the only true God. After he proved it, it states that he slew the prophets of Baal, but it’s not stated that he slew the prophets of the grove.

I checked Chronicles and couldn’t find anything there either. So, do you think the prophets of the grove were allowed to live? Is that why so many still celebrate easter?

Here are the two verses for reference:
1 Kings 18:19 Now therefore send, and gather to me all Israel unto mount Carmel, and the prophets of Baal four hundred and fifty, and the prophets of the groves four hundred, which eat at Jezebel’s table.
1 Kings 18:40 And Elijah said unto them, Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape. And they took them: and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there.

All right, I’ll bite.

When you read Kings there, I see the 450 prophets of Baal are present during the whole altar challenge. However, the 400 prophets of the groves were not present. So the death sentence only applied to those 450.

Interestingly enough, the Israelites never followed God’s Law. They always fell away from it. The Israelites were also to expunge any form of evil from within their midst. With the passing of Moses, before the Israelite nation was ever founded, they had already fallen.

Deu 31:16 And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them.

Deu 31:17 Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us?

If you keep reading, God provides Moses with the lyrics to the Song of Moses. A song that was to be a witness against them in their time of trouble.

3 Likes

I guess when I read:
1 Kings 18:20 So Ahab sent unto all the children of Israel, and gathered the prophets together unto mount Carmel.
I assumed it was all the prophets were present and it was only the 450 prophets that participated in the challenge put forth. In the grand scheme of things, I guess it’s not really that important, but it was just something that stuck with me after reading it.

I must say, I love studying both Samuals and then both Kings and finally both Chronicals - in that order. You can see a lot of similarities our leadership today.

God bless and thank you for “biting”! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay kay everything is okay only Yeshua Jesus the Lord of our salvation!! What did you mean about why people still celebrate Easter? As in estrus the egg laying goddess of fertility! Our holidays are truly inundated by Greek and Roman god myths. Christmas is superimposed with conception as Mary’s womb leaped with the Holy Spirit! That’s why I believe Yeshua Jesus is coming back during the fall Feast of Tabernacles# Sukkot the Lord Elohim Adonai dwelling Among Us

Yes, I agree. I celebrate Passover, not easter. There are so many people that are still misled by celebrating a heathen tradition. The thought had popped in my head that since it didn’t state specifically that the 400 prophets of the groves were not killed that it’s possibly another reason why people are still celebrating easter.

I celebrate Christmas as the conception of Christ - when the Word walked on earth.