Does God Know When We Will Die?

Full article at: Does God Know When We Will Die? | World Events and the Bible

The Bible says God is all-knowing, but does that mean He knows our future and we have an appointed time to die? Let’s examine the thought and its implications.

1 Like

I have been taught in church that God (Elohim) is “omniscient.” What about Judas? Did God not know before Jesus was born that His Son would be betrayed by Judas?

The way I see it, if God knows the heart, he can change it to fulfill His prophecy to meet His will and plan.
Just as Pharaoh. His heart was hardened murmurous times to bring forth all the plagues. If it was not, he could have easily kicked them out after 2 or 3. Either way, his treatment of the Israelites deserved what he got.
We don’t really know what Judas had in his heart from the beginning. I believe he truly repented after his job was done. He did love the money.

If God knows beforehand, who is going to repent and stay loyal to Him, through all this flesh age, what is the point of putting those who do through it?

2 Likes

So HE doesn’t already know who’s in the book of life?
What about the Jeremiah 1:5 verse “I knew you before I formed you in the womb”(or was that a specific thing for Jeremiah), & Romans 10:9 is a big 1 Baptists use for Predestination Doctrine…I’m not arguing AT All! Im just shocked is all, yet again Brandon comes in & ROCKS :rofl: :rofl: some more CRAP I was taught. So many questions man :exploding_head: :joy:

This might be above my pay grade, on a human level, any artist or craftsman knows what their creation is going to be before they create it.

The Lord is able to create our personalities, heart, mind, etc., form us to what He wants us to be and knows what the outcome will be. Just like He did with Adam. That doesn’t necessarily mean He can see the future. He just knows how we will turn out after His making.

He chose Jeremiah to be His prophet, knew he was going to be, formed him to be one, and put him in the womb and sanctified him to be so.

Not sure why Romans 1 would be labeled a predestination statement. It should be labeled a faith verse. It is a promise.

I should add, the book of life, isn’t etched in stone. Once you’re in, doesn’t mean you can’t be taken out. I never agreed with once saved, always saved. I don’t think you are automatically put in either, you must repent and have faith as Abraham did to be put in to start with.

I don’t believe that the father allocates more days to this person and less to another. He allowed each us free will. Had he not, we would all be perfect and salvation and Satan would not have served a purpose. because of our free will each of us can choose to walk in the light or drown in darkness. Peter 5:8 . Ecclesiastes 1:7. I think most of us sense who the taker of life is. He can’t do it directly because God wont allow it, he does it indirectly by preying on our weaknesses of the flesh and coaxes us to destroy ourselves. Oh’ he is a clever devil.

I meant to say Ecclesiastes 1:17

I believe that Jesus himself perceived the hearts of the 12 and knew Judas would be the one to betray him. The same way he knew that Peter would deny him three times before the cocks crow, out of fear for his own life. Mark 8:35 Lucky for Peter Jesus forgave him.

I added some more details to this study.

While working on a separate question for another reader, I remembered Numbers 14:11-12. Not only did Moses change God’s mind, but God was about to alter His plan by making a new nation from Moses!

Something popped into my head while reading this the 2nd time.

I am in 1 Samuel at the moment. The part where they just decided that they needed a man king just like the other nations to lead them to fight the Philistines, even though the Lord has done this for them for centuries now.

The Lord gives them a whole list of things their new king and future kings will do to them. It says they will cry to the Lord due to their treatment, but He will not listen. Doesn’t sound like the kings will follow His rules.
We could say that He knows the future to be able to give them the list or has a handle on human nature. Maybe He figures they will model themselves to the other races.

If the Hebrews are the 8th day creation, the Lord would have 2000 years to have watched the 6th day behavior and know pretty well what to expect. It only took us 200.

1 Like

He would have definitely saved Joshua and Caleb too. The list goes on.

I think there is always going to be a verse or area where you can scratch your head and say maybe he does know but there are so many to show he doesn’t.

Yes sir.

God said He was going to prove the Israelites to see if their heart would be with Him.

What’s that tell us?

To your point, the Israelites became more heathen than the people in the land, (2 Chronicles 33:9). God saw they kept slipping up, that’s why before Moses death God broke the news to Him saying.

Deu 31:16 And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them.

Deu 31:17 Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us?

Deu 31:18 And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods.

At that point, God saw enough of their behavior to know, this just isn’t going to work out. Sort of like when God was upset He created man back in Genesis 6.

This study really created more questions then answers for me. We are encouraged to let Bible interpret Bible, and not to take a verses out of context. Your first two verses in the study, both seem to be out of context. I am not saying I agree nor disagree with the conclusions of the study. Your ‘community readers’ take into thought other lines of reasoning or thinking on the subject matter.
As a believer in Christ Jesus, and His finished work at the cross, I no longer fear physical death. Instead, I look forward to eternal life. Wow, so many ways to look at this study. Thank you Brandon and community followers.

2 Likes

I sure do understand your statement, 'I know longer fear physical death Edna. I knew death was eminent even at a young age, but just couldn’t except it. I think all people fear it when they are young and healthy, full of vitality. Some of us can never accept it and try to live forever. The people who grow into old age who truly believe in Christ and his promise not only no longer fear it, some of us even look forward to it. There comes a time when we are just completely worn out and unable to really enjoy this life.
Granted, that time comes sooner or much later in some cases. I once heard a younger man say to an elderly man , 'shoot, I’ll bet you live another 20 years. The elderly man said under his breath without looking up, 'Lord I sure hope not. I get it.

1 Like