Are Mushrooms Unclean To Eat?

Full article at: What Does The Bible Say About Eating Mushrooms? | World Events and the Bible

The Bible does not say if mushrooms are unclean to eat. However, we’ll identify the characteristics of mushrooms and compare them to clean food we can eat.

2 Likes

This question to Brandon caught my eye since I’m extremely cautious with my diet because I’m asthmatic. A few years ago before going on an anti-inflammatory diet I was diagnosed with “severe persistent asthma” which is the worst. It affected my lifestyle immensely and my prognosis wasn’t good. In short my lifespan was likely going to be reduced significantly. (I’m healthy now, eating right & working out at the gym like a 30 year old these days…:slight_smile:

Being a former construction contractor who was officially disabled, I had a lot of time on my hands, so between all of my scriptural studies online I also did extensive research into natural/homeopathic ways to improve lung function.

Over and over again the answer was to reduce inflammation which was the root cause of my disease, and the natural way to do so was with diet and supplements.

That’s were Mushrooms come in, and how this is relevant to this question. Some mushrooms have more health improvement properties than others, but all seem to have similar, it varies on how significant from one type to another.

All mushrooms have anti-inflammatory qualities, which is at the root cause of nearly all ailments, particularly those associated with aging. Other qualities is they improve oxygen utilization, boost immune system, alleviate allergy symptoms, increase energy/stamina, just to name a few, plus have numerous beneficial vitamins and minerals.

Now, as far as biblical directive on what and what not to eat and if mushrooms should be avoided for this reason I’d like to present the following.

Let say even IF we take Gen 1:29 to it’s extreme literal sense and apply it to today and what ever culture we live in, let’s remember the word “seed” translated in our modern bible is from the word “zeh’-rah” Definition: a sowing, seed, offspring

Translated: descendants (105), offspring (38), seed (48) and a couple dozen others mostly referring to procreation etc.

The point is the ancient near east language 1000s of years ago had a much broader term and usage of the word than just a seed. Would spores fall into that category? Well, male “seed” certainly did and they have more in common with a tadpole than a plant seed LOL.

The second point I would like to make is nothing says clean food in the Hebrew economy is synonymous with health #1 and #2 no where in the NT is it insinuated that NT Jews much less the nations where still under dietary laws. Quite the contrary is the case.

abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from meat of strangled animals” (Acts 15:29)

Romans 14:14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

Yes mushrooms grow in decomposing matter, but many grow off trees in the air. Not to mention, all plants get their nutrition from decomposing matter. That’s what dirt is.

On the practical side of things, think of settlers in north America even back in the 19th century. They lived in hostile environments, particularly in the winter and would live off wild game of whatever sort they could get. Saying it was wrong for them to eat say rabbit is just splitting hairs IMO… sorry couldn’t help myself.

Indigenous people in Alaska as an example eat seal, and would think you’re a nut if you told them they shouldn’t. (it’s actually quite nutritious) I know the little baby seals are cute, but tell that to a little calf or bambi.

There are plenty of things if you want to go with OT dietary restrictions that aren’t mentioned that we think nothing of eating. Baking soda and numerous other additives. And yeast, referred to as leaven in the bible is actually a fungus. Yes, naturally occurring yeast in sourdough is fungus and is what has been used for leaven 1000s of years.

Mushrooms are good for you, so if you like them, don’t think there is any biblical reason not to have them as part of your diet.

One last comment, it’s a common theme of those who preach strict dietary laws to NT Christians that they seem to be most likely to adhere to numerous other archaic rituals. Mandatory headcoverings, use of their opinion of the sacred name, Sabbath worship, etc.

As Christ said, it’s not what goes into a man that defiles him, it’s what comes out of him.

I thought about the same thing as well, but can we prove it? Spores are about 10 micron while a human hair is 70-120. Did they even see the spore to consider it being a seed? Can we prove spore = seed? No, so it’s your opinion. You know what they say about assumptions… When we go that route and weave them into Scripture, that’s how man invents church tradition.

I hope you read the study, but as I explained, the Bible doesn’t say you cannot eat mushrooms. If you like um, and want to eat um, chow down!

Regardless, there’s not a single verse in the Bible that says things like pork/shellfish are clean. In Leviticus 11, God listed numerous creatures, in detail, that are unclean to eat. Science itself tells us, pork is not a healthy food. Shellfish also causes many health problems as well.

To call it ceremonial law is to disregard the reason God said it to begin with. Read the context of Isaiah 65:4-5, “which eat swine’s flesh… are a smoke in my nose.” Aside from that glaring point, God was railing against abominable things, even holy rollers. He lumped them all together. God never changed the DNA of pork/shellfish, they’re still abominable. Pigs carry/carried all sorts of diseases as well, history records this.

Far too often, I see people using Scripture to suit their diet rather than trying to apply Scripture to their life. God never created pork or vultures to be “received,” (1 Tim 4:3-4). Regardless, even eating pork isn’t a sin to the Lake of Fire.

In Romans 14:14, we are not being told we can eat pickled pigs feet. Backup to Romans 14:2, one guy thinks he can eat anything, another thinks only vegetables. Are we really talking about vegetarians here?

No way, right?

In the Old Testament, it was a big no-no to hang out with the people in the land and accept their ways, it may lead one to “eat of his sacrifice,” (Exo 34:15). That was the deal with Daniel 1:8-16.

So Romans was talking about the whole theme of “meat” from the New Testament. Being, it’s okay to eat meat if it was sacrificed to an idol (unlike the Old Testament), but if the sight of such a thing makes your Christian brother stumble, then don’t eat it, (1 Cor 8:1-13, 10:20-32).

When the “common” food came down on a sheet to Peter, it wasn’t about eating pickled pigs feet either. It was about accepting the Gentiles into the church, into Christ, into Eternal life, (Act 10: 14-15, 17, 28, 34-35).

How about Romans 14 again?

We can now see, the guy that only ate vegetables was concerned, he might pick up a piece of meat from the market that was sacrificed to the Roman gods. They sacrificed a lot. So instead of fretting over it, he just ate the veggies, just like Daniel and his crew.

I know you appreciate Biblical history, so you know saying “Jews” to refer to the Israelites is not accurate. I like to draw that distinction on my site to help Christians understand there were 12 Tribes of Israel, not just one.

Ahh come on Zac. People have been living in hostile environments since the creation of man. God knew that, and He still told the Israelites not to consume unclean food. Your rationale leads the reader to think, when I’m up against tough times, I can just disregard what God said. That’s what the people of the world do today, not Christians.

Sure, they would also think you’re nuts to tell them their spirits are monkey business too. That is, until you sit down with them, and educate them on Scripture and reality.

There are those assumptions again Zac. :grin:

Jesus was not talking about food.

Mat 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Peter was confused by the parable as well, (Mat 15:15).

Nevertheless, Jesus was talking about spiritual wickedness.

Mat 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

1 Like

I fed my pig a habenero and he did spit it out lol. But yes they are very unclean. I never see any poop in his cage ever. So he Def poops and eats it! I do follow the health laws and they are for a reason. What did Jesus dying on the cross change about a pig? Its still unclean and unhealthy.

1 Like

1 Tim 4:4-5
|4:4|For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
|4:5|For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

If dietary laws are applicable to NT Christians there has to be at least one verse somewhere that states NT Christians shouldn’t eat OT unclean foods. But there isn’t even one. When the subject does come up, abstaining from meat sacrificed to idols as to not cause a weaker brother to be confused is advised, but nothing else.

I’ve heard this sin not to the lake of fire business before from preachers who subscribe to OT dietary laws. Just exactly where is it scripture states eating unclean food is a sin, but not to the lake of fire? That’s simply made up.

Putting a yoke on other Christians, particularly those who are immature in the faith by claiming dietary laws are sin is well, counterproductive to say the least.

14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Isaiah 65 is the people who are the smoke in God’s nose. Isa 65:5

“Who say, ‘Keep to yourself, do not come near me,
For I am holier than you!’
These are smoke in My nostrils,
A fire that burns all the day.

Regardless, there still is not one single verse in the NT that even insinuates OT dietary laws are mandatory for Christians much less a sin even if it’s not unto the lake of fire which isn’t anywhere in the scriptures either.

From my experience dietary laws are used by many who strain at a gnat and swallow a camel. Often times laying other burdens on Christians making theirs a legalistic adherence instead of a walk of faith in Christ.

Is pork good for you? Nope, one of the worst. Especially confinement hogs. Neither are gummy bears and a whole host of other things people put in their pie holes. But I’ve yet to see one verse of NT scripture declaring it a sin to eat such things , or even suggesting OT unclean food should be abstained from.

With all going on in our world and all the important doctrinal issues to focus on, I find is amazing that there are those who find the need to tell others certain foods are unclean to the Lord.

Suggesting good healthy diet habits for those who need the guidance is great, but suggesting it is a sin of one sort or another is quite a different animal.

BTW welcome Jeffrey @JStar4 Yeah dogs like cat poop too, I think of that when ever I see a woman kissing her pooch on the mouth…

Jeffrey, welcome to the forum buddy, great to have you!

For some reason, my coffee is going down a bit rough this morning. I doubt it’s your pig story. :pig_nose: :pig2: :grin:

@CaptZac, it was important enough for Donna to ask the question, right?

So I answered it, but I never said it was a sin. You keep slipping that in there to make me look bad. For shame.

Welcome aboard jstar4!

As for eating scavengers, God told us long ago what was clean and unclean–nothing has changed. God made everything for a purpose.

1 Like

We, as Christians, need to follow all parts of God’s WORD as best as we can–Old Testament and New Testament. The health laws were given as a guideline for we, in the flesh, to follow. Nothing has changed since God’s creation.

The ten commandments are in the Old Testament as an example for us to follow–just sayin’.

2 Likes

I’ll just stick to Oatmeal, can’t go wrong there.
Let’s just all eat Oatmeal and we can all get along. :innocent:

You see this is where teaching food is still unclean in a spiritual sense leads to.

Donna, surely you don’t suggest we keep all 613 if memory serves me correct ordinances for Israel do you? You know, ones like don’t wear wool and linen sewn together.

Just as not mixing garments fabric was symbolic of not mixing unholy ways of the heathen, so was unclean food. God was separating Israel from all other peoples

Leviticus 11-16, it’s clear that clean and unclean laws are about access to the sanctuary. The person who is unclean isn’t allowed to draw near in sacrificial worship. This means that the food laws aren’t health laws Deuteronomy 14:3 – Food and Holiness | Christian Library

Noah knew the difference of clean and unclean animals, but God told him after the flood:
Gen 9:3
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

It is important that NT believers distinguish between OT ordinances and walking by faith in Christ.

Gal 5:3-4 makes it clear every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

@brandon I’m sorry if I misinterpreted what you are saying, but a sin not to the lake of fire sounded to me it was a sin nontheless, just not unto death etc.

That’s also my point, that calling anything unclean as in biblicly unclean at the very least insinuates it’s unclean unto the Lord and we are diminishing our relationship with Him by eating anything described in Lev 11-16 as unclean. (ie unholy)

It’s a slippery slope to make works of the OT part of our walk with Christ. Particularly teaching others it is what God would expect from us if not demand from us. Saying something to a NT Christian is unclean is synonymous with saying it’s unholy, or at the very least it would be natural for most to interpret it that way.

Such conversations are good IMO due to many being taught incorrectly.

The law, not statutes and ordinances, of the OT.

Matthew 5:18
King James Version

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

1 Like

Hi Donna,
I’m assuming by “The law” you mean the 10 commandments.
Well, since we are discussing whether mushrooms are clean or not, and whether that has any bearing on whether we should or should not eat them as Christians, food laws were part of the ceremonial ordinances.

Historically Christians have broken the law into 3 groups as I’m sure you know.
Moral, Ceremonial, and Civil.

Clean & Unclean animals were part of the ceremonial laws. No plants were prohibited in Leviticus.

As for Matthew 5:18 Christ came to fulfill the law and he did. All of it. As an example the Sabbath is a ceremonial law but was in the middle of the 10 commandments.

Romans 10:4
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Galatians 3:1 You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified? 2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?

Galatians 3:24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

The discussion of the fulfillment of the law is a whole topic in and of itself, but as pertaining to whether mushrooms or any other plant is unclean as per the OQ, they don’t even qualify as either and on top of that the NT doesn’t hold Christians or believing Jews for that matter to OT ceremonial food laws.

I hope I’m not being condescending, but I’ve seen the promotion of strict diet laws imposed on people under the guise of the bible which were extremely counterproductive spiritually and for absolutely no reason or no biblical merit.

Food for the Christian should be evaluated on health benefits, personal tastes, and of course in this day and age affordability just to point out the obvious. :slight_smile:

I’m always agree with Bran, it’s just plain common sense. Fungi are scavengers, no matter spores or whatever. They even are not plants. They are from another kingdom. I’ve ate a lot of them, but reading Bran as always has opened my eyes.
Here we eat “níscalos” ( lactarius deliciosus). Absolutely a delicacy. But you know what? Since I’ve started eating full Bible foods I’ve lost 8 kilos. This is the first time in ten years I lost some weight. Bible foods: pulse, meat of clean animals, eggs, fish with scales, veggies, juices, etc. But the most important thing is having faith in the Lord, and that He will heal me with His allowed foods.

4 Likes

What you said about people being burdened for life in many cases by what they were told as a child. or the ‘young’ in spiritual knowledge is very true. As a child when I read about Adam and Eve in the garden and Eve being tempted by a ‘serpent’ I have always associated all snakes with evil. Even in adulthood I have a phobia about snakes, Once a friend brought me a couple pounds of rattlesnake meat and told me to try it. After he left I threw it in the trash.
My grandmother told me once to never harm a dove. that they were Gods messengers. I have never hunted dove in my life. Silly as it sounds, what we are told by a figure of authority
can have a profound effect on our beliefs and our lives. That is why ministering the word of God is a huge responsibility and not to be taken lightly. Revelation :19